Note: The Economic Health Committee delivered its final report to the Selectboard in October 2020 and has been dissolved.
Economic Health Committee Final Report
Economic Health Committee Final Report - Presentation
Charge: Using the work of the 2017 Economic Health Task Force as a starting point, recommend economic development tools, policies, strategies, and actions that the Town can use with limited resources and staff.
Who: Initially, appoint current applicants for appointment to the Economic Health Committee: ACEDC Executive Director Fred Kenney, Selectboard Member Farhad Khan, and Mary Cullinane
Ask Fred and Mary to recruit up to 4 additional members for the committee. In addition to one Selectboard member, potential members include: Economic Health Task Force Members; business owners and entrepreneurs; one representative from each of the following groups: the Chamber of Commerce, Better Middlebury Partnership, the Downtown Improvement District Commission and Exchange Street business association.
When: Prepare recommendations for presentation to the Selectboard by August 2020. Interim recommendations may be presented when prepared and the Committee will provide progress reports to the Board periodically.
What: Facilitated by Fred Kenney, using the Addison County Development Opportunity Profile and current economic trends as a backdrop, the group will consider the following topics as it develops recommendations to the Board:
- Retaining/Expanding Retail and other Business Opportunities;
- A basic analysis of the economic viability of Tax Increment Financing and/or other means to support infrastructure improvements in the downtown;
- The most effective use of funds remaining in the Middlebury Business Development Fund, including, but not limited to providing revolving loan funds or other low- or no-cost economic development tools that have been successful in other Vermont communities;
- Use of Vermont Community Development Program Grant revolving loan funds to support economic development (activities must be VCDP eligible, not limited to use for revolving loan fund); and
- Other new policies or policy changes, strategies, and actions that a municipality can implement to maintain and improve the economic health of the town.
The Committee’s recommendations to the Board will outline how the effort will be sustained – by a Committee, staff and/or a combination thereof.
(Approved by Middlebury Selectboard, September 2018)
When: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month
Time: 12:00 p.m.
Where: Room 116
77 Main Street
- Steve Boyce - Owner, American Flatbread
- Ben Calvi - General Manager, Vermont Cider Company
- Mary Cullinane - Partner, Community Barn Ventures
- Becky Dayton - Owner, Vermont Bookshop
- Karen Duguay - Executive Director, Better Middlebury Partnership (BMP)
- Scott Gemignani - Owner, Tinker and Smithy Game Store
- Fred Kenney - Committee Chair - Executive Director, Addison County Economic Development Corporation
- Farhad Khan - Owner, One Dollar Market and Selectboard Member
- John Freidin - Middlebury Resident
- Jennifer Murray (Ex Officio) - Director, Middlebury Planning & Zoning